Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wednesday November 30, 2011

Well, I think that after all of my experiments and my huge day out at New Harbor yesterday, by body decided to give up on me for the day. It literally threw in the towel. I woke up at 6:30pm! Yikes! Talk about a wasted day! But apparently I needed it. So since I don't have any pictures from Wednesday, I will put up a video. I figure that since I am still excited about our trip out to New Harbor, I will put up a really cool video from there. It is hard to explain how quiet it was out in the Dry Valleys. I believe that it must be the most quiet place in the world. Any other place that I have ever been at least has the sounds of leaves blowing in the wind or trees creaking or birds calling or insects buzzing around. We had one of the calmest days that I have experienced here in Antarctica and there was not a single cloud in the sky. The video picks up just a bit of wind but it was almost an alien feeling how quiet it was. NASA uses Antarctica as a place to try out Mars equipment because it is the closest kind of landscape and environment we have on Earth to what Mars is like. I feel incredibly lucky to have experienced this place. While I could try to continue to describe it all day, it really is indescribable. I hope you enjoy and can get a little sense of what I felt. Watching it again gives me the goosebumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment