Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday, November 19, 2012

Well, today was my last day in Antarctica. It was a very bittersweet feeling to be leaving this incredible and magical place. There is so much history and mystery here. I really do love it. I know that I can't really say with full conviction that I will never be back. I would love to come back again, and maybe someday I can. But for now, the lyrics from the song, "I and Love and You" by The Avett Brothers just keep repeating in my head. It is making me feel very emotional. All I have to do is change the word Brooklyn to Portland and this song is just perfect. It really is making me choke up. I am listening to it right now as I write this last blog post and nothing else can really describe how I feel. However, the words, "I and Love and You" are not hard for me to say at all.

Load the car and write the note 
Grab your bag and grab your coat 
Tell the ones that need to know, 
We are headed north  

One foot in and one foot back, 
But it don't pay, to live like that. 
So i cut the ties and i jumped the tracks, 
For never to return. 

Ah Portland Portland take me in. 
Are you aware the shape I'm in? 
My hands they shake my head it spins 
Ah Portland Portland take me in.

I can't wait to get home. This has been such an incredible season, but it is now over. And there is nothing I want more than to be home. 

However, I won't end my final blog post like that. I will end it just how I have ended all of my other blog posts, with some great pictures from a great day and a great season. 

I love this shot. The joke is pretty subtle, but I still love it. Remember, scientists are refereed to as "Beakers" down here. This is the only street sign that I have seen in McMurdo. Of course, it says "Beaker St" and is right next to the Crary lab.


Soon, it was time to transport to the C-17. Here are Kim and I just before we loaded up on the Delta. I wanted just one last view of the Royal Society mountain range too.




Next, we loaded up. We were packed up like sardines in the huge Delta. Good thing it was a short drive out to the sea ice runway.



And here is that incredible plane: the C-17. It was our ticket home. Once we got on, I could really say that were were headed North. And that felt great!



Here are some fun shots from the flight, just to give you an idea of how big it is on the inside of the C-17. People (including me) were sprawled out on the floor of the C-17 and sleeping. It was awesome!




Once we landed, we got our bags and returned all of our ECW. After that, we were done with our Antarctic experience. 


However, that is not how I will choose to remember my Antarctic experience. Instead, I will remember the view that I had on my commute everyday. Of the worlds Southern most volcano, on perfect day. That is all that I have. I feel so honored and lucky to have been able be a part of this experience. It really has been incredible. 







1 comment:

  1. Hey Man! How are you? Me n little buckaroo are still here holding down the fort. We think of you often. Hope you're doing well in Guadalupe! Ha. It's been a helluva season. 6 weeks to go. The whales are here, and we've been tagging them. Wish you could see it. Talk to you soon hopefully. Helo Matt

    ReplyDelete