Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday, November 9, 2012

Well, we didn't go out fishing today, but it was still a great and productive day. I worked on my thesis for most of the day and it is almost done! YAY! Then, after dinner, my friend Claire and I went on a short hike up Ob Hill (short for Observation Hill). It is one of my most favorite places here in McMurdo. It is a pretty short hike, but you can get such a great view of the Ross Sea, Mt. Erebus, Scott Base (the New Zealand base) and of course, McMurdo. I just had to bring my futsal trophy on the hike so I could get pictures with it up there. Here are some photos from my hike! Spoiler alert...Hero shots!



The trophy hovering over Mt. Erebus...the world's Southern most volcano!






Mt. Erebus. Looking great!


Here is McMurdo from above. All of the huge white circles hold all of the fuel we need for an entire year!




Looking out over the Ross Sea with the Royal Society mountain range in the background.


The cross erected for the men who died during during Robert Falcon Scott's expedition returning from the South Pole.


A nice panoramic of the sea, McMurdo and Mt. Erebus.


Here is where the cross is described about the explorers who died returning home from Scott's South Pole expedition.


And finally, Claire and me at the top of Ob Hill. What a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment