Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Well, even though we were up really late last night, we still were able to get out of bed early to start our experiments. SCIENCE NEVER SLEEPS! Brad and I started two experiments simultaneously early in the morning while Marissa selflessly volunteered to take all of the afternoon, evening and night time points. While tubes floating in water are exciting as a scientist, they are not very exciting to look at in pictures. So I decided to post some non-science related pictures today.

It was an absolutely beautiful day today and I took this panoramic shot from the Science Support Center. If you look really close, on the left side of the third building from the left, you can see Mt. Discovery. I will post better pictures of it soon.










This next picture is something that makes me laugh every time that I see it. It is a Pisten Bully with a slab of wood that says "Student Driver" on the back. I remember driving this one last year during my PB training. It looks normal here, but I can just imagine the look on people's faces if you were driving this during your driver's education class back home!





























This vehicle looks a little more "normal", however, take a look at the tracks instead of wheels! These would be amazing for places like North Dakota and Minnesota in the winter!






























Finally, every Sunday (and Wednesday), one science group from McMurdo gives a short lecture about their project to help people know what kinds of things are going on down here. My roommate and his advisor gave their talk about bromine and how it leaves the ocean and goes up into the atmosphere and leads to ozone depletion. It was a packed house! And while it wasn't an exciting day as far as pictures go, it was still a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment