Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday October 31, 2011


The wind was blowing like mad when I woke up this morning. Dannie and Hilary were supposed to fly back to their field camp this morning but when I talked to Nick and Matt (helo techs) they were pretty certain that no one would be flying unless the weather got much better. Sure enough, when Dannie and Hilary got to the helo pad their flight was canceled for the day. Since the weather was so bad, our team also stayed in and I ran my experiment on a new species, Gymnodraco acuticeps, also known as a dragonfish. It went really well and I seem to be getting my procedures down really well.






































This cartoon was going around to a lot of people on station and I thought it was pretty funny. Since hand brakes don’t work very well in extreme cold (they tend to break), here we need to chock all of the pickups incase the micobrake fails. After a seal accident two weeks ago, this cartoon is even more appropriate.





























Some of Isaac’s “science" as he calls it.





























Henry Kaiser has been taking pictures of people using an infrared filter. Here are a few pictures he took of me.








































Walking home from the lab. This is what -38F wind-chill looks like. No wonder the helos didn’t fly today! Normally from this view, I can see Mt. Discovery all the way across the sound!


























































I will be running another experiment tomorrow and it doesn't look like the weather is going to clear up any time soon. Just another amazing day here at McMurdo. I still have to remind myself where I am when I look across the frozen Ross sea to Mt. Discovery and the Royal Society Mt. Range and see glaciers. I go fishing on the frozen ocean many times a week. It hasn't worn off yet and I doubt it will anytime soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment