Friday, October 28, 2011

Thursday October 27, 2011

Well, since I was up so late on Wednesday night and way into Thursday morning (about 5am was when I went to sleep), I got to sleep in on Thursday. I came into the lab to finish up my experiment for the 24 hour time point and that was about all for my Antarctic science. During my down time, I have been also analyzing data from three previous (and quite large) experiments that I ran back home.  So even when we don't go out in the field, I am still staying quite busy. Later in the evening, there was a combined birthday party for Lydia and Marissa because they both had their birthday's this week. There is a building called "Hut 10" that anyone can reserve to have small parties there. It is also the building that distinguished guests stay in when they come down (Senators, the President etc). It is a pretty posh pad!




Anyway, like I have said before, this place has so many talented people and we all were able to witness some of that talent on Thursday. Sandwich has been coming down to Antarctica for a long time (this is her seventh season) and she started a band a while back with another guy (Bill). They named their band Condition Fun! Not to be confused with Condition three, Condition two or Condition one...All of their songs are fun, upbeat and really silly. And so catchy and cute. They write songs about the different vehicles down here at McMurdo. They even have a song about Ivan the Terrabus! So Sandwich and Bill played a few of their songs. Sandwich writes the songs, sings and plays "The world's southern most Tuba." Isaac was inducted into Condition Fun last year and the whole band (four or five people I think) will be performing a few times this season.





Then, Isaac and Sandwich played a song that Sandwich just wrote earlier this week about some of the birds down here called Skua.



Finally, Lydia and Isaac first played a song that Isaac just wrote this week about trying to send a love message over the radio (which is completely unprofessional, but the song was so cute and hilarious). Then they sang a few other songs as well. Everyone had a great time.


No comments:

Post a Comment