Monday, November 14, 2011

Sunday November 13, 2011

Well, I had a pretty relaxing Sunday. I was able to sleep in a bit and then later in the afternoon, Henry Kaiser gave a presentation about his nine seasons of diving down here. He has done a lot of work filming under the ice and the videos he showed were incredible. I have already posted a few links to some of the videos he has taken this year. The first was the "That's why they don't call it catching" video and the second was the octopus release video.

Later in the evening, Dr. Sam Bowser gave a presentation about the foraminifera that his team collects and studies down here. Dannie and Hilary are two of the divers on that team. Sam's talk was really great and he even had some 3-D images to show so the whole audience got to wear 3-D glasses for part of his talk.

Lydia and I were playing chess before the lecture began. Chess is so much better when you are wearing 3-D glasses!







































While this picture didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, this is a shot of one of the 3-D images Sam used. You will have to put on 3-D glasses to see it in 3-D though.





























Highlight of the evening and of the day, maybe even of the trip....I got to meet Dr. Art DeVries after the lecture. I have read so much about him since I started graduate school and I have heard a ton about him down here. It was like meeting a celebrity for me :) Don't worry, thanks to Sandwich, I played it cool. Well, that's all for now. It was another great day in Antarctica!

No comments:

Post a Comment