Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thursday November 17, 2011

Today was another day of lab work. I figured that I should put up some pictures of some of the early stages of lab work that we do instead of just showing you pictures of tubes floating in water.

Here is a picture of a MASSIVE Trematomus nicolai. We didn't catch it. Another fish group caught it but their research is only on Pagothenia borchgrevinki so they gave it to us to use. How nice was that?!






























It was so bit that we almost needed two rulers to measure it!































This is a Trematomus newnesi that I ran an experiment on today. There are two "morphs" of this species. They have two different head shapes. One head is more "torpedo" shaped and one is more "blunt or rounded." While these are by no means the scientific ways of describing the two morphs, it is a quick way for us to differentiate between the two. This one was a "torpedo" shaped individual.






























Here I am beginning my experiment. The fish has already been anesthetized at this point.





























One tissue that I am experimenting on is gill tissue. Here is what it looks like when it has been removed and separated.





























Finally, the tissue is sectioned and placed into tube containing a solution known as "Ringers" solution. It contains the same concentration of solutes as the fish's blood so the tissue can still survive and the cells can continue to function long after the fish has been sacrificed. A big thanks to Sandwich for taking all of these pictures and an even bigger thanks to her for all of her incredible help that she has given me with all of my experiments. There is no way that I could have run all of these experiments on my own and her assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks Sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment